Wednesday, 2 November 2011

The one where I'm too cheap to be glossy.

I knew nothing about beauty boxes until I started watching Youtube videos on beauty products.  These videos introduced me to the GlossyBox and Boudoir Prive Beauty Box which both cost over £10.  As I use very little beauty products and only wear makeup occasionally, I don't feel that it is worth my while subscribing to these boxes.  I have too much stuff that I don't use already!  I did however find out about the Latest in Beauty box which only costs £1 and you can order over text.  You pick 3 samples from 3 catagories; skin care, makeup & fragrance and hair & body. 


It only took a few days for my box to arrive which was nice.  It is obviously not as well presented as the expensive beauty boxes but that is to be expected.


The first sample that I received was a very little tube of the Crabtree & Evelyn Lily perfume with a sachet of the matching body lotion.  It is describes as smelling of Lily of the Valley but with hints of hyacinth and ylang ylang.  It is certainly fresh and floral but smells rather 'grannyish' to me!


The box included a £5 off voucher for Crabtree & Evelyn products however I very much doubt I will be using this judging by the perfume sample.


The Doctor Brand Blemish Relief Kit was the samples I was most keen to receive.  If you've read my blog before you'll know that I have big time problem skin!  You are instructed to use the cleanser (wash it off), the rub in the blemish treatment gel and finish off by rubbing in the lotion.  All three products stung which is something I rarely experience having the opposite of sensitive skin.  Robust skin?  Something like that!  This made it fairly unbearable to use the products however in the name of testing I persevered.  Another strange thing about these products was the fact that you had to rub 2 products into your skin without washing them off.  I know those of you who are used to using moisturisers and primers and then makeup will be used to this, I found it rather strange.  Obviously I only had one sample of each of the products and so I have no idea about the long term effects of these products.  I can say, however, that my skin looked rubbish after using this, massively shiny!

The last sample was the Lumenesse Age-Defying Colour Care High Volume Shampoo & Conditioner which retails for a whopping £18 for a 350ml bottle.  Both products were nicely textured and smelt nice.  Nice though, not any more than that.  The conditioner wasn't particularly conditioning although it is designed for coloured hair which I thought was quite strange.  My main problem with these samples was nothing to do with the actual products, it was more to do with the sample size.  I have very fine hair which is shoulder length but the amount of shampoo and conditioner which was provided in the sample wasn't enough for my whole head!

I would get this beauty box again as it is so cheap however only if there was a particular product available that I am really interested in.

No comments:

Post a Comment